Apr 24 Case Study: Aratta
By handling the production management, we were able to execute a productive shoot, by capturing all of their product and lookbook photography in just under 6 hours of actual shoot time. Giving Aratta hundreds of beautiful images to be used across all marketing channels.
Aratta is a Los Angeles based women’s fashion brand created by designer, Susana Karapetyan. Susana is also a designer for many other well-known fashion brands. When we first met Susana at the 2015 Magic show in Vegas, we were intensely drawn to the quality and beautiful fabrics used in Aratta’s designs.
At the time, Aratta was doing all of their product photography editing in-house. For a fairly new brand, the workload was starting to become troublesome and time-consuming. Aratta’s product photography was shot using a basic non-industry standard e-commerce setup, and the extra time needed to organize, edit, clip and place the images on their line sheet was beginning to weigh heavily on the brand. More importantly, the quality of the images suffered because they relied heavily on post-production to try and make up for poor product photography.
Aratta’s retail accounts were also being affected by the quality of their photography because the non-industry standard photos Aratta was currently giving them could not be used on their e-commerce sites. Now that the entire fashion industry is shifting to digital markets when a retail store buys from a brand it’s not just to stock their racks, but also for their e-commerce sites. For big retailers who rely on their own product photography, it does not matter what photography a brand can give them. However, when selling to a mid-sized retailer without the budget to afford their own product photography, being able to give them quality photos to be used on their e-commerce site is a big deal.
Aratta also felt it was time for their brand to start producing quality Lookbooks, as the brand’s popularity was getting stronger. The problem with this was that they had never gone through the process of conceptualizing, organizing and producing an industry standard lookbook before. Traditionally a single lookbook can take months to plan for, in this case, we had days. With the Magic tradeshow only less than two weeks away, and samples not even back from manufacturing yet, the task seemed nearly impossible to them.
We proposed a few solutions for Aratta. First, we converted all of their product photography to a completely white background using a professional grade lighting setup for a few reasons:
A. Minimizing editing and clipping time needed to create their line sheets
B. Helping their overall image organization and workflow
C. Elevating their product photography quality to industry standard
D. Optimizing their images for retail e-commerce use
We advised them to have our agency manage the entire process, including: model selection, talent booking, creative direction, project workflow, photography session and post-production management. The reason for this being, the look and feel of their line sheet, lookbook, marketing materials and the brand image would be cohesive for the entire S/S 16 season launch.
Lastly, we suggested that Aratta should switch to an e-book format for their lookbooks, so they could be easily distributed to sales reps and viewed on smart devices at tradeshows and events.
- The product photography shot on white saved them days of editing and clipping time needed to prepare images for their line sheets.
- Aratta received positive feedback on the new quality of the images from their sales reps, which contributed to the overall success of the new season launch.
- Aratta’s retail accounts could start using the brand’s images on their e-commerce sites, which helped develop a greater brand identity for Aratta.
- By handling the production management, we were able to execute a productive shoot, by capturing all of their product and lookbook photography in just under 6 hours of actual shoot time. Giving Aratta hundreds of beautiful images to be used across all marketing channels.
- By Divisa expediting a rush turnaround, we were able to condense the production and turnaround time on a 70-page lookbook with an integrated line sheet to 3 business days. Aratta was able to successfully complete their first complete lookbook on time for their sales meeting the day before the Magic tradeshow, as well as to print a traditional line sheet, and various other marketing materials needed for the show.